The longest winter, the most frequently appearing northern lights, the deepest snow, the purest air… that’s what Kilpisjärvi is all about – it’s the perfect winter playground!
The snow season starts in late November and continues until early May
- Capture the magic of Aurora Borealis
- Explore the wilderness on snowshoes, with cross-country skis, and on a snowmobile tour
- Spend a day in the company of a reindeer herder on the tundra
- Take a thrilling dogsled ride
Arctic summer is short but sweet, and filled with delights: two months of nightless nights, the verdant greens of the nature, the crystal-clear cool waters of the streams, rivers and lakes. Summer starts in Mid-June and continues until late August.
- Discover the beauty of arctic flowers and the delicious taste of cloudberries
- Go biking, go fishing and go hiking
- Immerse yourself in local traditions and culture on a visit to the reindeer ranch
- Take a boat ride on the lake and visit the three-country border mark
Autumn is a festival of colors! “Ruska” we call it, the short period in September when nature paints itself in flamboyant colors: yellows, oranges and flaming reds
- Conquer the summit of Saana mountain
- Raft down a river that separates two countires: Finland and Sweden
- Take a sightseeing tour in the air by helicopter or by seaplane
- Witness the wonder of autumn’s first northern lights
Off-season – the period after “Ruska” and before the start of the snow season – is the hidden gem as nature prepares itself for the arrival of winter.
- Discover local culinary delights of seasonal food: berries, mushrooms and reindeer
- Get acquainted with local customs and history on a guided tour
- Go chasing aurora borealis, on your own or with a local guide
- Take the best photos of your life in the constantly changing nature